SEDFIT was developed for Windows PCs. If you prefer using a Mac, it is possible to run SEDFIT and SEDPHAT directly from an Intel Mac/Unix machine, as described in Dr. Gali Prag's Mac/Unix instructions. The following instructions are for Windows.
* PC with at least 500 MHz, 256 MB RAM, Pentium or Xeon processor (Cyrix 3 processors may not work). Multi-core processors are supported and can significantly speed up many computations.
* Windows NT, 95, 98, XP, 2000, Vista, 7, 8
* ~3 MB of harddisk space
* internet connection for accessing this on-line help system
(I recommend not to use the data acquisition computer of the XL-A or XL-I for data analysis with sedfit, except when using the real-time mode (see FAQ))
For downloading and installation, follow these 8 steps:
1) Note that this is software was created at the National Institutes of Health and carries the following disclaimer:
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED AS IS, AND WITH ALL FAULTS. THERE ARE NO WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, TIMELINESS, TRUTHFULNESS, SEQUENCE, COMPLETENESS, ACCURACY, FREEDOM FROM INTERRUPTION). THERE ARE NO IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARISING FROM TRADE USAGE, COURSE OF DEALING, OR COURSE OF PERFORMANCE, OR THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THERE IS NO WARRANTY THAT ANY SOFTWARE, INFORMATION, OR OUR EFFORTS WILL FULFILL ANY OF THE USERS PARTICULAR NEEDS OR PURPOSES
It can be downloaded for free. The methods are described in several references.
By downloading and using the software, you agree to cite the software in publications (including the name and source), as well as the referencing the published methods.
2) Create a directory named "sedfit" on your harddrive C: (for detailed instructions, see here). You can install SEDFIT also into alternate locations.
3) Sedfit consists only of an executable sedfit.exe (the older helpfile sfhelp.hlp is obsolete and not distributed anymore). It is zipped and must be expanded. Download the zipped file simply by clicking on the following link, and store the file in the new sedfit directory.
Please note that the following links are redirecting to the official NIH download page sedfitsedphat.nibib.nih.gov.
sedfit16-1c.zip (this is the newest version 16.1c created on 10/23/2018, should be 2,296 KB extracted)
For help, currently only this online-help system is supported. It has the advantage that it can be kept up-to-date easily.
4) Double-click on Sedfit, and the Sedfit-window should open up. The first time you start the software, a prompt will appear to accept the disclaimer. After these steps, the program is ready to work.
If you are not familiar with the software, be sure to read about Getting Started.
5) Please sign up for the Sedfit Users Group to post questions reaching ~ 250 other users, read exchanges of experience and tips for the SEDFIT software and AUC in general.
6) If you would like to be placed additionally on an email list of users only for updates, bug fixes, etc, please sign up for the SEDFIT-UPDATE listserv.
7) You may want to download Sedphat as well.
8) In case of questions about the installation, please visit here.